God is a faithful rewarder. “…He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.” (Hebrews 11:6) When we put our faith into action, God rewards us. When I reward a certain behavior in my children, it is because I want to encourage that behavior for the future. God desires us to be faithful. Micah 6:8 states, “Mankind, He has told you what is good and what it is the Lord requires of you: to act justly, to love faithfulness, and to walk humbly with the Lord your God.”
Let’s look at the example of Rahab the prostitute. “You see a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone. In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction?” (James 2:24-25)
1. Rahab believed God would reward her.
“Now then, please swear to me by the Lord that you will show kindness to my family, because I have shown kindness to you.” (Joshua 2:12)
2. God protected Rahab’s family, because she was faithful.
“Joshua said to the two men who had spied out the land, ‘Go into the prostitute’s house and bring her out and all who belong to her, in accordance with your oath to her.’ So the young men who done the spying went in and brought out Rahab, her father and mother and brothers and all who belong to her.” (Joshua 6:22-23)
3. Throughout Scriptures, God tells us that He will reward us for our faithfulness.
• “Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.” (Revelation 22:12)
• “For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with His angels, and then He will reward each person according to what he has done.” (Matthew 16:27)
• “So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised.” (Hebrews 10:35-36)
• “Jesus answered him, ‘I tell you the truth, anyone who has left home , brothers or sisters, father or mother, children or fields because of my name will receive 100 times more and inherit eternal life. ‘“ (John 19:29)
“Let us not become weary in doing good, because at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” (Galatians 6:9)